2.1 Customize the theme of your Folio
The theme is the aesthetic appearance of the Folio, the distribution of the objects, the fonts and the colours of your area or blog.
There are different pre-built themes in WordPress. Once you choose the theme, it allows you to modify certain elements to personalize your Folio.
How can I personalize my Folio? The first step in choosing a new theme is to click on the “Customize” option in the menu at the top of your Folio page.
This will then open a new menu on the left that will allow you to customize the Folio.
By clicking on the «Change theme» option, you access the page where you can see and choose the different predesigned WordPress themes. You also have the option to preview how your page would look with each theme if you click on «Preview». When you choose the theme, you must publish the changes to save the new look of the Folio. Once you have chosen the theme for your Folio, you can customize it by clicking on the «Customize» button.
The menu on the left will open, showing several options.
The first option on the list is «Site identity», which allows you to write the title and subtitle, add a logo and a background image. The second option that you find is «colours» in which you can change the background colour and the title. The preview in this case is automatic and every time you select an option you will see the changes in the appearance of your Folio immediately.
The third option, «Header media» , allows you to add an introductory image or video to your area.
Once you click on publish the customization changes of your Folio, the new appearance of your area will be saved and you will be able to see some icons in the form of pencils in different parts of the screen. Clicking on them allows you to directly edit specific parts of your Folio.
TIPS: You can change the appearance of your Folio as many times as you want. As you explore the possibilities offered by the tool and feel more comfortable in the environment, it will be easier for you to modify and customize its appearance to create your own identity within the Folio area.
2.2 Create your profile
Folio allows you to make some basic changes, such as choosing the language, adding a profile photo, entering a short bibliography or choosing the colours of the administration.
a. Choose the language
Each student is assigned a specific language in Folio. Each student is assigned a specific language in Folio. Although we try to make it the one you have chosen when you enrol, it does not always coincide, since there is a great diversity of languages among the students.
Folio allows you to change the language in a few minutes and with a few very simple steps.
1) To change the Folio language, you must access the Virtual Campus with your username and password.
2) Click on your Folio and go to the dashboard.
3) In the menu on the left you will find a section called “Options”. This section is displayed so that you can choose the “General” option. If you click on this option, you will be able to see the area that contains the available languages.
4) You will find a drop-down tab for the site’s languages and you will be able to choose between Catalan, Spanish and English.
TIPS: Keep in mind that, despite changing the Folio language, the menus remain in the original language. In the next section we show you how to change it!
By default, Folio takes the language that you have in the Virtual Campus the first time it is created. If the system has chosen the wrong language, you can open an incident to restart it with the language you want.
b. Change menu language
Steps to follow to change the language of the menu:
1) Access your Folio from the Virtual Campus. In the menu on the left, where the dashboard‘s functionalities are located, you will find a section called “Appearance”. This section is displayed so that you can choose the “Menus” option. Once this option is selected, you will see the area that contains the management of the menus.
What is a menu?
The menus are tools that will allow you to design your Folio in an orderly way.
2) The active menus appear in the central column. Click on the menus you want to change with the arrow located to the right of each one of them.
3) Now it allows you to change the text and write each menu in the language you want.
4) When you have finished the changes, go to the bottom left, where you will find a button that will allow you to save the menu with this modification. Finally, check in Folio that the language has been substituted correctly.
→ More: crate a menu
In addition to the menus, there are other ways to order and organize the information on your Folio website. Two good options are:
→ More: add hashtags
→ More: create categories
c. Add your photo to Folio’s personal area
What is Gravatar?
Actually, Gravatar is short for globally recognized avatar. That is, each user can configure their avatar (or profile image) from Folio’s personal options.
The WordPress Gravatar app is included in Folio by default, and is meant to be a cover letter for every user. In this way, it allows you to associate your Folio with an image and simplifies the recognition process of the community.
In order for the UOC community to easily identify you and for your Folio to have a more personal character, you can upload a photo of yourself through the Gravatarapplication from WordPress. This is an optional step and you can do it at your discretion.
How to add your photo to the personal area of Folio :
1) Go to the«Users» section that you will find on the left of the screen. Click on the «Profile» option.
2) After selecting the “Profile” option, go to “Profile Image (Unpersonalized)” and click on the “You can change your profile photo in Gravatar” option. This will redirect you to the Gravatar application.
3) Follow the steps that the application indicates. Access through the «Create your Gravatar», button, in blue.
Keep in mind that, as in any other application, you will be required to create a user account using an email and a password..
4) Once inside the application, you can enter the personal information that you consider appropriate in the «My profile» section. You can add your profile photo in the «Els meus Gravatars», area, which you will find at the top, or from the «Add an image» option. The application offers you several possibilities when uploading the image:
- Upload a new file from your computer or mobile device.
- Upload a new file from a URL location.
- Upload an existing photo.
- Upload a photo from the webcam (webcam).
2.3 Proposed activity
In this activity we propose that you change the style of your Folio.
As already explained, WordPress allows you to choose between several themes.
It is important that, when you choose from among the available themes, you choose the aspect of the theme that best suits your preferences.
Steps to follow:
1) Go to the “Appearance” block, which allows you to choose between several themes. Once chosen, you can finalize the details you want with the customize tool.
When you have logged on to campus and accessed your Folio, you will access the desktop (dashboard) of your WordPress. This is the backend that will allow you to edit, manage and adapt the appearance of your space.
In the menu on the left of the desktop you will find the option “Appearance > Themes”. There you will see the themes available for Folio.
4) WordPress allows the preview option. In this way you can see the general characteristics of the chosen theme. Once you decide which is the theme that attracts you for your Folio, click on the “Activate” button and you will already have an initial configuration.
This configuration can be further detailed with the “Appearance > Customize” options. If you want, you can customize the range of colours, the header image, and the background image. You can also add an identity by adding a logo and even a site icon: this icon is what you see in the browser tabs when your Folio is visited.
6) Finally, you can decide if you want a static cover (with an image, a text, a video, etc.) or if, on the contrary, you prefer the cover to include the latest entries.